Me - Pronunciation: \ˈmē\
Function: pronoun
Someone who talks a lot but is hardly ever talked to...

The Selfish Blog
This is an attempt to save myself - all by myself.
I talk a lot.
I love to talk.

I often say things out loud - the things that I am thinking - some people gasp and then some people laugh.

They gasp because they cannot believe I forgot to filter that thought.

They laugh because they think I am joking - or they laugh because it makes them uncomfortable - sometimes I think they laugh because they are thinking it too - but couldn't say it - or would never say it...

All these things that I will say because I just have to say it.

The Selfish Blog
It is only one step above talking to myself.
But it is - at the very least - one step above.
You can gasp or you can laugh.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The heart of stone I sometimes get -

I don't know why I act the way I do
Like I ain't got a single thing to lose
Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy

I got a life that most would love to have
But sometimes I still wake up fightin' mad
At where this road I'm heading down might lead

The urge to run, the restlessness
The heart of stone I sometimes get
The things I've done for foolish pride
The me that's never satisfied
The face that's in the mirror when I don't like what I see ... 

Is that really ME?

This is not my normal light-hearted blog entry.  But sometimes I do have serious things to consider.

How do I do this mother thing right?  It's a bad week with the teenagers and the "baby". (He is six - but so much younger than my "first litter" that he is "the baby" still).  This is not going how I want it to.  I feel like my life is thoroughly and completely NOT my own.  Do they even love each other?  Do they love me? Why do they do this to me?  Why do I do this to them?  I want to rewind to the spot where this all began going wrong and have a "do over". 

How far do I have to go back?  I do not even know! 

I cannot find the spot. 

Maybe it was when they were toddlers?  It doesn't matter anyway.  I know that I can not do it over.

I just completed my 6th year at my job.  This little anniversary comes with a performance review.  I am a good dental hygienist - I have great rapport with patient's and their guardians - I understand insurance -I can calculate the proper antibiotic prophylaxis for a child with a heart murmur -

OH! and I am late to work more often than I am on time.  These are the things that I already know I will hear and see and sign my name to when my boss presents me with my performance review. I am that confident.

I AM A GOOD MOTHER.

This is what I want to be confident about.  It is the only performance review I care about. Tell me what specific thing I need to do - how can I make this happen?

I mean ... I know - prayer, scriptures, church attendance, Family Home Evening - I learned all those "answers" too.  The answers to SO many questions.  I know them.  I understand them.  I don't do them well - but not because I don't know better. I know that ... ok?

Even those things - no matter how lovely -  do not guarantee a safe, competent, successful adult to spawn from the beautiful, perfect in everyway child that I birthed.  I realize that these things ... these exercises ... provide a great foundation - something to come back to when it is needed in their life - but no matter how well anyone does it - there are no guarantees.  I know because I've seen families that do these "exercises" very well and they very often do not end up with children who are kind, happy and successful.

Can I have a guarantee with that please? 
`
To my children -
I promise you - my beautiful children that I only do for you what I think is best.  I promise you that I know you - who grew in my belly - layed in my arms - slept in my bed - better than anyone except your creator.  Each of you - are my life. 

Sometimes you are the only reason that I even bother to get out of bed.

Thoughts of each of you are always banking around in my brain - like a pinball machine - one thought POPPING to the next. 

Sometimes it abrasively shoots across to a fear I might be having for you at the moment ...

That boy better take care of her on the jet-ski. Is he going to be wreckless with her beautiful life? Did I stress to her enough how very important it is to me for her to keep that life jacket on? -  I hope Corey isn't hungry. - Does Bradley understand where his Dad is?  - I can plainly see that my boy is getting ready to get his heart broken and I cannot bear to watch.   - I hope that siren isn't driving toward one of my babies. - Jesse looks so sad...

... and other times it gently rolls to a memory of you that makes me smile. 

Those night time sweet words when it was just me and you in your bed waiting for sleep to come. - Story time at the library. - Our first mini-van. - Comforting you thru a thunderstorm. - Finding you butt-naked in the McDonald's play area - your voice on my Mother's Day phone call - 16 years if OBX memories.

Sometimes it lingers in a pocket of regret - a time in your life - even a specific event -  that I wish I had handled differently - better

I wish I had not given Corey's kitten to Lacey.  It was awful.  He was only seven years old - it was a horrible punishment for a little boy. - I wish I had not fallen apart on Lyndsi Shae's very first prom day and yelled at her until she cried.  She wasn't letting me be part of her day - so what did I do?  I made sure she felt plenty bad about it! It was mean. - Why did I put Lacey in Kindergarten when she was only 4.  She was such a little thing!  What was I rushing? - Why didn't I wait to go to dental school until Jesse was older.  Why did I think once he reached Kindergarten that I was free to do such a time consuming thing that literally sucked me out of my family's life?
------------
I don't know why I act the way I do
Like I ain't got a single thing to lose
Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy

I got a life that most would love to have
But sometimes I still wake up fightin' mad
At where this road I'm heading down might lead

The urge to run, the restlessness
The heart of stone I sometimes get
The things I've done for foolish pride
The me that's never satisfied
The face that's in the mirror when I don't like what I see ...
 


So - this blog has been in my "draft box" for weeks.  I can't figure a proper way to wrap it up.  Its not wrappable.  Its a work in progress ... my blog ... my mothering - a work in progress.

3 comments:

Kimber said...

I think all the feelings you have are felt by EVERY mother, actually it should be included in the definition of Motherhood. Guilt and regret do no good, recongnizing the things we feel bad about is probably a step forward but also a step back. You are a good Mom, Being a good Mom does not mean you don't yell, don't say things you don't mean, missing school activities...Being a good Mom is simple....WE LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY!! We learned this kind of love from our mother and we both know she yelled and made mistakes...but we have no life shattering problems because we knew that what ever we did she loved us UNCONDITIONALLY!! Thanks to our Mom for teaching us that and thanks to you your kids know it too!! I love you sis!

steph said...

For some reason I feel like saying, "in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

This blog is the definition of motherhood. I think most of what I do is wonder how badly i messed up my kids or what I didn't teach them or did i teach them enough. Was I "to tired" for them to much or "do the dishes" to often so I wouldn't have to entertain them. What teaching moments did I lose by being to busy.

I love the quote "you won't be the only voice in your childs ears, so you better be the loudest."

So maybe, scream a little louder. ;)

Dottie said...

Guess that's just the Cowboy in us all!

Come on, you know what the song is about...we all make mistakes, we all regret some things...but when a cowboy gets bucked off his horse, he gets right back on, and works harder, has learned a lesson and put it to good use...

You have learned lessons, we all have, you keep getting right back up trying to make it better...Amy that's what the Greatest Cowboy in the sky wants!

You are a great Cowboy/Mom and I love ya!