Me - Pronunciation: \ˈmē\
Function: pronoun
Someone who talks a lot but is hardly ever talked to...

The Selfish Blog
This is an attempt to save myself - all by myself.
I talk a lot.
I love to talk.

I often say things out loud - the things that I am thinking - some people gasp and then some people laugh.

They gasp because they cannot believe I forgot to filter that thought.

They laugh because they think I am joking - or they laugh because it makes them uncomfortable - sometimes I think they laugh because they are thinking it too - but couldn't say it - or would never say it...

All these things that I will say because I just have to say it.

The Selfish Blog
It is only one step above talking to myself.
But it is - at the very least - one step above.
You can gasp or you can laugh.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Alice In Wonderland

Today - I took my two littlest guys to see Alice in Wonderland (2010).


Let me first say that-so far- all variations of Alice in Wonderland thoroughly creep me out. In fact – until today – I’m not sure that I have ever seen any version in its entirety - probably because I had to stop watching to prevent bad dreams.

When Alice falls into the rabbit hole, it scares the hell out of me. Then there are all those locked doors that she cannot open – yes it scares me. I might be weird but when Alice is too big for one door that she can open -I cringe and find it hard to breathe as she tries to squeeze herself thru it! It’s the first time I understood claustrophobia.

What’s more? She drinks a mysterious potion (I’m yelling NOOOO! Don’t drink it! Are you NUTS?) Then- she alternately shrinks and grows! It is all just too CREEPY. I don’t think I’ve ever made it past that specific part of the story in any variation and apparently – that’s the very beginning of most versions.

Okay! I understand that the story is supposed to resemble a dream – and it is not supposed to flow or really make any sense whatsoever – BUT - I don't even like my OWN dreams and I really have never like that one.

So why would I take my kids to watch this movie? Can you say – “Johnny Depp”? I alternately love and loathe him. (I secretly would love to “mack” him in his pirate character ...just saying)! I am unashamed to admit that it was Depp that drew me to the movie. Depp – in case you do not know – plays the role of the Mad Hatter.

In the movie he and Alice have several clever exchanges – I’ve considered that each one might become my new mantra (if I had a use for such a thing).

Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are!

I share with my wise mother the thought ... if THAT (pointing to some supposedly blissful human) is normal – I’m certainly glad I’m not normal!

Alice: Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast!
Mad Hatter: That is an excellent practice!

Allow me these moments of hope – they keep me very UNnormal.

Mad Hatter: (to Alice) You used to be much more ... “muchier” You’ve lost your muchness!

I want my muchness back. I’ll do whatever it takes! I’ll drink the potion – I’ll eat the cake – I’ll shrink – I’ll grow – I’ll even fight the Jabberwocky...

2 comments:

Kimber said...

Johnny Depp is Deppalious! Scary wigs, sissors on his hands, Dirty Pirate etc....The dirty pirate just makes me want to give him a bath!! YUMMY!! Brad Pitt used to do this to me but all those children and diaper bags over his shoulder have robbed him of ALL "Man Points" in my book...other than these two I never remember feeling that way..so we are back to giving Johnny Depp a bath....

Just Saying To Me said...

Amen sister... Id even clean under his fingernails!